After taking a closer look at my social media activity, I am giving some thought to taking my Facebook business page offline. I regularly post there, but I wonder if I could put my time to better use.
Here are my thoughts on this so far:
Reasons to keep my Facebook page
- Pages allow a clear distinction between personal and professional. Whoever follows the page will get business-related updates only. And my Facebook friends on my personal profile don’t have to wade through my business posts.
- Pages allow me to build a following without forcing people to friend me.
Reasons to kill my Facebook page
- Facebook pages are less interactive than personal profiles. To join professional groups, I need to use my personal profile, which means that personal and professional aren’t neatly divided anymore.
- Facebook doesn’t notify me if there are follow-ups to comments I leave as a page. I have to manually return to that post and check – very time-consuming. Because of this, some translators use their personal profiles to comment, essentially covering the same ground twice.
- The lack of a proper search function and the constant changes in how my feed is displayed are annoying (to say the least).
- Most people who follow my Facebook page know me from other social networks, so I wouldn’t be deleting important contacts. It’s a sad fact that my Facebook page isn’t really attracting a unique target group.
Am I missing something important that could influence my decision? This is an actual and not a rhetorical question for a change. I would welcome any insights you might have.
Possible courses of action
I am currently weighing 4 options:
- leaving the page as it is
- simply deleting the page
- taking the time to customize the lists and privacy options on my personal Facebook profile so that I can use it for professional purposes (which I already am to some extent)
- creating a new personal profile just for professional contacts, which will save me the fiddling with my privacy and list settings
What do you think? Has anyone ever deleted a profile and suffered unforeseen consequences? Or heaved a huge sigh of relief? Will I be condemning myself to online obscurity without my Facebook page?
PS Did you see my guest post on Caroline Alberoni’s blog? It’s about why I think that blogging for other translators can be a good use of your time (maybe more useful than a Facebook page).